Understanding Positions with Opposite-Colored Bishops
Chess University Online Weekend Camp August 10th-11th 2019 with FM Arne Jochens!
Positions in which each side has only one bishop (and perhaps other pieces), but the two bishops move on squares of opposite colors, are among the most intricate in chess. They are difficult but rewarding to master, as they frequently occur in practice and feature certain positional ideas that are universal but most pronounced in this type of position. These include positional sacrifices, blockading, choice between active and passive defense, and attacking weak color-complexes.
In this Weekend Camp, experienced Chess University coach FIDE-Master Arne Jochens invites students on a tour across the entire range of these fascinating positions. On the first day he will discuss the most important must-know endgames, as well as some typical ideas in more complex endgame positions. The second day will be devoted to middlegames, featuring typical attacking ideas and defensive resources.
Throughout the course, students are encouraged to participate actively, asking questions, suggesting variations and discussing ideas. Additionally, there will be a dedicated Q&A session after the final live lesson.
Players rated 1500 and above (advanced players)
This course is designed to improve the student’s ability to
- assess when and how one or two extra pawns are enough to win such an endgame;
- choose the right defensive strategy when behind in this endgame;
- conduct attacks on weak color-complexes with confidence;
- defend against such attacks;
- execute surprising positional sacrifices.
- Course syllabus (this document)
- Exercise sheet with four challenging exercises to prepare students for the live lessons
- 4 interactive live lessons (one hour each)
- Access to the video recordings of those lessons
- 4 PGN files featuring the positions and variations discussed in the live lessons
- Q&A live session (30+ minutes)
- Summary sheet with the instructor’s take on the most important points
Lesson #1: Saturday, August 10th from 10:30-11:30 AM Pacific Time (PDT)
Lesson #2: Saturday, August 10th from 12:00-1:00 PM Pacific Time (PDT)
Lesson #3: Sunday, August 11th from 10:30-11:30 AM Pacific Time (PDT)
Lesson #4: Sunday, August 11th from 12:00-1:00 PM Pacific Time (PDT)
Q&A and Conc: Sunday, August 11th from 1:00-1:30 PM Pacific Time (PDT)
Start by watching the introductory video lesson with pre-camp puzzles for free! Registration for this live camp ends on August 10th at 10:25 AM Pacific Time.
FM Arne Jochens, Ph.D is a highly experienced educator and chess coach as well as the Director of Content at Chess University, Inc. | ChessUniversity.com.